Tuesday, March 01, 2011

One of the Boys


Last week during dinner I was telling my mom stories about my closest male friends and how successful they are now with their family and career. Then my mom asked, "no one from your friends even tried to court you?" To which my sister gave a resounding "noooooooo!" Her reaction was understandable.

I met these guys when I was still a teenager. And I must say that I learned a lot from them, from the simplest things to the most complicated ones. They taught me that hard drinks/liquors can give you a bad headache more than a beer can. They also taught me that no matter how drunk or tired you are due to last night's gimmick, you should never take school or work for granted, and family should always come first. But the most unforgettable thing that i learned from them was how to spot the guy who has good intentions and the one who's just after some thing.


Some people say it is impossible for a man and a woman who are very close to each other to be "just friends" - I disagree. Well, there were attempts of flirtations on the first few days. We were young then, everything was exciting and of course boys will be boys. They were curious with the new girl. But the attempts died down real soon, because after all, it was obvious that friendship was all I could offer. And then the fun began. We would talk over the phone until our ears become so red and sweaty, would hang out until the wee hours of the morning (did I mention that I was the only girl in the group?), and at one time even had an out of town trip with them (which I would NEVER EVER let my niece or my future female child do!). The best (or should I say worst?) part of it was, I had to lie for them to their flings and girlfriends. That's why their girlfriends during those times either hate me or love me, or at times would hate me first before they start to love me. With the closeness that I have with these guys, no teenage girl would ever understand the kind of friendship that I have with their boyfriends. There was even one time that this guy and his then girlfriend was fighting and my name was brought up. The girlfriend blurted out "and she knows you better than I do!" Oooops...sorry not my fault. There was also one time when this friend's girlfriend demanded that he stay away from me. His answer was clear, "she has been my friend even before I met you so you just have to trust me." But one thing that makes me feel really special then was everytime a friend would start dating someone seriously, he would eagerly introduce me to the girl and say "meet the group's bestfriend."

Now everyone's married. Their wives like me. I'm the godmother to their kids. I do not join them in their "boys night out" anymore (you wouldn't wanna know what kind of fun they're into now). And yes, I'm the only one who has remained single. You see, they taught me well. Too well that I try to analyze men too much and forget what "carpe diem" means. Who would want a selfish and interrogator girlfriend?! Hahaha! Someone told me that maybe it would be better if I just pretend that I don't know that much about men and their game. I thought about that too. But here's the problem now, the choices have dwindled to zero. I am not dating anyone. What used to be "single by choice" has become "single by fate." But seriously, I am not complaining. I will not trade my friendship with those guys for anything. Even if my toughness sometimes vary from being an asset to a liability, I still do not regret being one of the boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Custom Search